Monday, August 26, 2013

Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Peppers

In an attempt to get back into my healthy eating routine after a few weeks off I really wanted to try something new. I love love love stuffed peppers and have made them in a few different varieties over the years. This week I decided that I would try to make a Mexican stuffed pepper that would be both filling and flavorful to get me back on track. I am pretty proud of the result and it was a great use for the shredded chicken I make at the beginning of each week. You could also sub in any other meats or just take it out completely in order to make this dish veggie friendly. I didn't add any cheese to the stuffing mixture but rather choose to add it on top when I was reheating them throughout the week for my lunches; I also added a dollop of plain Greek yogurt on top for a sour cream taste with a kick of added protein. These will for sure become part of the normal dinner rotation!

 
Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
 

 
Ingredients
3-4 Bell peppers with seeds and tops removed
1 cup black beans drained and rinsed
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup corn
4 oz shredded chicken breast
1/3 cup favorite salsa
1/2 T cumin
 
Cheese, sour cream, Greek yogurt toppings optional
 
Directions
1) In a medium bowl combine beans, quinoa, corn, chicken, salsa, and cumin.  Mix completely and test for seasoning and spice level
2) Place bell peppers in baking dish and fill evenly with quinoa mixture
3) Bake in 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes until peppers are softened (adding a little water to the bottom of the baking dish will also help the peppers soften while baking)
4) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment