Thursday, October 3, 2013

Thankfully I don't need my shoulder to make smoothies

Sooo apparently taking 2 weeks off is not a really good idea!  With a mix of vacations, allergies, and just general laziness (lets be honest) I really haven't done much physically in the last 2 weeks.  I think I went to yoga a few times and maybe got in a total of 4 miles but nothing note worthy. 

Yesterday I decided that it was time to get back into the swing on things with a run, a little toning, and some Bikram.  The run was horrible... didn't help that it was 80 degrees and I packed my cold weather gear but I still couldn't get it more than a mile without feeling like I was going to die.  I know I just need to get back into it but it was really frustrating.  Thankfully one of my favorite bloggers RunEatRepeat also had a rough day of running and had a whole post on not letting one bad run get you down or unmotivated, she ran 8 miles while being unmotivated but it still applies lol! Toning went well and I did one of my favorite tone it up routines that worked my whole body.

Then it came to yoga, I knew it was going to be tough when I couldn't even concentrate and get into a flow during the opening breathing set.  The thing about Bikram is that it is already a challenge to get your mind around what you are doing so when your mind is else ware it is nearly impossible.  I found myself having to take way more water breaks and rest breaks then usual but I just chocked it up to having an off day.  I made it all the way to pose 20 before it all went downhill.... I was actually feeling good during this pose so I decided to try the full extension for the first time and OMG I was wrong.  Here is a pic for anyone who is curious what I was trying to accomplish:



Well right after I got my back on the ground and my arms back I felt something start to pull in my leg, instead of breathing calmly and properly getting out of the pose as they instruct I panicked! I somehow tried to push myself up with my right arm while flipping onto my side, basically I probably looked like an upside down turtle trying to right itself, and I ended up pulling something major in my back. I knew immediately I had messed something up since I had shooting pain from my lower back up to my right shoulder blade that is still horribly painful today. I am thinking the next few days aren't going to be so pretty!

Tonight my hope is to get in a solid 3 miles since I only have about 2.5 weeks to get my shi* together for the relay! On and a boat load of icy hot for my back!

And now for some happy news on the healthy eating front, I have a brand new smoothie that I am in love with.  I have mentioned before that smoothies are a staple in my diet since I can prep them quickly and bring them with me to work.  I found an inspiration recipe on Eat Yourself Skinny a few weeks ago and I will be honest it took me awhile to actually try putting avocado in my smoothie but now at least for this version I am hooked.  I made sure to add some protein powder and adjusted the recipe for only 1 and my version tastes just like a dreamsicle!

Vanilla Mango Smoothie
 

 
Ingredients
1 cup frozen mango chunks
1 scoop vanilla protein powder (1 scoop of mine is actually half of the recommended serving size)
1/2 cup orange juice
1/3 of a ripe avocado
1-1 1/2 cups water
 
Directions
Blend together, work up the courage to drink a slightly green smoothies containing avocado, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment