Thursday, February 7, 2013

Lightened-up Whole Wheat Lasagna

Italian food is my weakness... well let’s be honest any food is my weakness but Italian holds a soft spot in my heart and tummy.  I love any pasta, whether it be plain, stuffed, rolled, layered, you name it I will eat it. Even though I am trying to eat cleaner and lighter lately I don't want to have to deprive myself of my favorite things.  Since the BF is also a Italian lover so I decided to make a lightened up version of our favorite lasagna! In order to lighten it up I used whole wheat lasagna noodles, Italian turkey sausage, part skim ricotta, and added some spinach to bulk it up.  For 1/12th of the pan you will clock in at about 270 calories, 19 grams of protein, and some calcium, fiber, and iron as well.

Lightened-Up Whole Wheat Lasagna

Adapted from Ronzoni


   Ingredients
3 links hot Italian turkey sausage
1 jar (24oz.) spaghetti sauce
1 cup water
1 15oz container part skim ricotta cheese
2 cups (8 oz) shredded mozzarella divided
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 eggs
1/2 tbs italian seasoning
1/2 package frozen spinach thawed and drained
12 pieces whole wheat lasagna noodles, uncooked

Directions
1) Remove sausage from casing and cook in large skillet until fully cooked, drain any excess fat
2) Add in spaghetti sauce and water and simmer for 5-10 minutes
3) In separate bowl mix together ricotta, 1 cup mozzarella, and parmesan cheese with eggs, seasoning, and spinach
4) Place a cup of sauce in the bottom of a 13x9 pan, then place 4 lasagna noodles on top of the sauce, spoon half of the cheese mixture on top of the noodles and spread evenly, then place 2 cups of sauce on top of the cheese, repeat with noodles, cheese, sauce, noodles, then top with remaining sauce and remaining cup of mozzarella cheese
5) Cover with foil and bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes, remove foil then bake for another 10 min
6) Let sit for a few minutes then enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment