Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Cheesy Quinoa Cakes Side Dish

Last week I finally decided to make a dent in the Sam's Club size bag of quinoa I bought awhile back.  I can eat the stuff just plain but the BF feels a little differently then I do so I knew I needed to get creative.  Thankfully pinterest and food bloggers exist so I was able to find a good starting point from SpoonForkBacon.  These cheesy quinoa cakes caught my eye and I thought they would be a great side dish for our kabobs.  I of course made some changes because that is what I do and they really did turn out amazing.  Even the BF approved!  I also thought they looked so pretty and in smaller portions would be great for finger foods at a party.  The quinoa and egg gives they a good boost of protein and fiber, the seasonings and cheese make them taste super bad for you without having all of the guilt. 

Cheesy Quinoa Cakes
 


Ingredients
2 cups quinoa cooked (I cooked mine in chicken broth to add more flavor)
2/3 cup mozzarella cheese
1 egg beaten
3 TBS flour
1 TBS Mrs. Dash of choice (I used garlic and herb)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 TBS oil of choice

Directions
1) In large mixing bowl combine quinoa, cheese, egg, flour, and seasonings.  Once combined let set for at least 5 minutes
2) In large sautee pan heat oil over medium high heat
3) Form quinoa mixture into even patties (I used a 1/3 measuring cup) and place in hot pan, cook about 5 minutes on each side until brown and crisp
4) Remove from pan and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment