Friday, October 19, 2012

Counting your blessings

There are times in life when you realize how lucky you are.  My life hasn't always been easy, at times it has been far from it, but thankfully it has brought me to the life I now have.  Every once and a while events occur that make you realize just how blessed your life really is. 

I recently learned that a high school classmate, and elementary school best friend, was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.  We haven't spoken in years but learning of her fight brought tears to my eyes.  She has been gracious enough to track her progress in a blog and yesterday I finally sat down and read from the beginning.  Needless to say I was shocked.  Not because of her diagnosis, or her treatments, but because of her spirit.  Through her blog I laughed more than anything, her comments, and reactions to what is occurring to her are priceless.  Even in one of the most difficult times in her life she is still wittier, more positive, and outgoing (the girl shaved her head into a mohawk when her hair started to fall out) then most people, including myself, will ever be.

 It’s a reminder that things can go wrong, plans can change, the world can fall from your feet, but you can still remain a person that can make yourself and others smile.   It’s a reminder that when life is good to embrace it, don't let the little stuff break you down, and in her case even this big stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment