Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Spinach Tomato Orzo Soup

Well here in Michigan Fall/Winter is in full swing!  This is the time that most people including myself start to indulge a little more in hearty "comfort" food.  The issue is that comfort food usually ends up making me feel quite uncomfortable once its time to dust off the bikinis!  So last night I set out to find an easy and hearty soup that wouldn't bust my calorie counter.  I have to say I think I found it!

Adapted from Babble


Ingredients
-1 medium onion peeled and chopped
-1 TBS Olive Oil
-1 clove garlic peeled and chopped
-1 package sliced mushrooms
-1 15 oz can diced tomatoes with basil/garlic/oregano
-1 package frozen spinach thawed
-6 cups chicken broth
-2 cups water
-1 TBS red chili flakes (if you want to add some heat)
-1/2 box Orzo pasta

Directions
1) Heat olive oil in large soup pot; add in onion, sauté 3-4 minutes
2) Add in garlic and mushrooms, sauté another 5 minutes
3) Add in tomatoes, spinach, broth, water, and seasonings
4) Simmer 15-20 minutes
5) While soup is simmering cook orzo according to package directions and set aside
6) Place 1/3 cup or more according to how you like it of orzo in your bowl and ladel soup over it
7) Enjoy!

Extras
-I don't add the orzo to the soup until serving because it will absorb most of the liquid if stored.  For me this makes enough for many meals and I recommend but placing the amount of orzo you like in your bowl right before eating and re-heating!
-I added some chopped chicken breast to my bowl as well to bump up the protein and to help make it heartier, this can be done bowl by bowl or you can add a few cooked chopped chicken breasts to the whole soup
-Replacing the chicken broth with veggie broth would turn this easily vegetarian

No comments:

Post a Comment